Vegan Mac & Cheese with Tempeh Bacon Bits | Gluten Free, Oil Free, Nut Free
This whole food, homemade mac and cheese recipe makes a great summer dish that everyone will love. It's creamy, savory and nutrients dense. Pack it for a picnic or take it to a pot-luck!
- Gluten free pasta - 8 oz or 1 box. I used chickpea, lentil pasta.
- Tempeh - 1 cup
Marinade for Tempeh Bacon
- Liquid Coconut Aminos - 2 tbsps
- Lemon pepper seasoning - 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper powder - 1/4 th tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Onion powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Potatoes - 2 cups
- Carrots - 1 cup
- Onion powder - 1 tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Lemon pepper seasoning - 1 tbsp
- lemon juice - 1/4 th cup or 1 lemon
- Water (from steamed vegetables) - 1cup
- Roasted cherry tomatoes
- Romaine lettuce
- Beginning with the cheese: Using a steaming basket, steam potatoes and carrots for about 15 minutes or until a fork can pierce through them easily. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Save the water that is left over.
- In a food processor, combine steamed potatoes, carrots and the rest of ingredients for the cheese. Blend until smooth. It should look and feel like a nacho cheese type of consistency. If necessary, add more water.
- For the pasta: Bring about 6 cups of water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook until soft. Once finished, drain and rinse with cold water to avoid stickiness.
- For the tempeh bacon bits: Cut tempeh into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with all of the marinade ingredients. Heat in a pan on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine the pasta, cheese and bacon into a bowl and toss. Serve with garnishes on top.
Enjoy! Love in service,
More Healthy and Delicious Recipes
Use Code LOVE5 for $5 off of the sale price!
Work with me: One on One Services
As a certified Plant Based Nutritional Coach and a Usui Reiki Master, I offer extra services. Please click on the image that interests you for more information.