Smokey Dehydrated Tomatoes
Smokey Dehydrated Tomatoes
No dehydrator? No problem! Grab some organic cherry or grape tomatoes and create your own oil free, smokey and flavorful dehydrated tomatoes with just your oven! Here is how I do it to maintain the sweetness of the tomato:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees F. Using this extremely low temperature is my secret to preserving the sweetness of the tomato and making the most mouth watering flavor.
- Add parchment paper to your baking sheet.
- Half tomatoes lengthwise. Place them cut side up and spaced out.
- Sprinkle curry power, black pepper, (and my favorite,) smokey chipotle jalapeño pepper seasoning, or cayenne pepper.
- Place in oven for about 6 hours.
You are going to be amazed with how dehydrating these tomatoes brings out the sweet flavor that hides under the tangy-ness of fresh tomatoes. The large amount of water content in tomatoes makes it a perfect palette for creating a sweet/spicy flavor since any spice you add to it will be deeply absorbed into it’s juicy goodness.
Add it to:
- Vegan burgers in replacement of ketchup
- Fresh Salads
- My favorite: with hummus, lemon and celery sticks
- Zoodles (zucchini pasta)
- Spaghetti Squash
- Gluten free crackers
- Vegan tacos
Fresh romaine, spinach, arugula & zucchini salad with steamed broccoli & lemon hummus dressing.
- Dehydrating maintains the flavor compared to roasting.
- You can create any flavor with this as you please. Oregano, thyme and basil for more of an Italian styled flavor.
- Your patience with this recipe will be greatly rewarded! I like to pop mine in the oven first thing in the morning to enjoy the same day.
- You may need to dehydrate more or less than 6 hours depending on your oven. Just keep an eye on them throughout the day.
- They will be ready when the sides are slightly shriveled.
- These will not store well since they will still contain water. If you don’t mind not being oil free, you can store them in olive oil.
- Some people will cook these at a higher temp such as 250 degrees F to get them done faster, however, they will be considered “roasted” at this point rather than dehydrated. This will cook the water out and the flavor will not be as good!
Have you cleaned your gut lately?
The Gut Health Kit is a 30-day program engineered to reset your entire gut. It combines Global Healing Centers best gut health products into one incredibly effective program that cleanses your gut, balances your microbiota, and lays the foundation for intestinal comfort and optimal function. In my experience and speaking with other’s who’ve done it as well, it’s not harsh, painful or uncomfortable. Just plan to relax and not do any strenuous work during the first few days of the cleanse. It’s an amazing and life transforming kit! Free shipping to U.S and Canada. Get it here